Picking the right white–really any wine, can feel overwhelming. Looking at the miles of choices, we don't blame you for feeling bleary-eyed as you try to discern a Pinot Gris from a Chenin Blanc. The sheer number and variety of white wines can feel daunting–but don't let that stop you from experimenting and enjoying new pours!
Here's a Crash Course on Finding the Right White Wine for Your Taste:
What's your taste preference? It's important because different varietals have different characteristics. But what if you aren't really sure? That's okay because we love helping people discover wine. It's not about what we like, it's about finding the right wine for you.
Do you enjoy sweet, dry, crisp, light, oaky or creamy wine? Knowing the region in which wines you have liked in the past came from can help too. Having an idea of palate preferences will help you narrow your search. And, hopefully, you'll discover new wines along the way.
- Light and sweet wines are lightly sweet, aromatic wines while sweet may refer to very sweet dessert whites.
- Crisp wines are light-bodied and dry, with a fresh clean taste.
- Dry means it is not sweet.
- Oaky refers to wine aged in oak barrels and has a distinct vanilla flavor profile.
Varietals most commonly used to make white wines:
- Chardonnay—One of the most popular wines in the world, it can be light and crisp, or full-bodied and creamy.
- Chenin Blanc — South Africa is now the largest producer of Chenin Blanc in the world, creating a dry, zesty, crisp wine that is very similar to Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc.
- Sauvignon Blanc — This classic white wine has fruit flavors, a more vivid acidity, and a lighter body.
- Pinot Grigio/Gris — Three main types include; minerally and dry, fruity and dry, and fruity and sweet.
While we can list the unique characteristics of each type of white wine, the best way to find your favorite is to taste them for yourself. Just stop by any of our Haskell's locations and our wine experts can help steer you in the right direction. Cheers to finding the perfect white wine for YOU!