The remainders of summer have disappeared and we’re fully immersed in fall, including the ever-expanding universe of pumpkin spice drinks.
Will they continue to appear earlier and earlier every year? Will people get sick of them and all their pumpkin-y glory? Are we asking too many questions instead of simply reveling in more pumpkin spice drinks?
Donuts and lattes are having plenty of pumpkin spice drink fun, so why not share the love at your home bar and next party? Try these five cocktails—Fall cocktails never had it so good.
Pumpkin Spice Whiskey Cocktail
You’re probably familiar with simple syrup, that unavoidable ingredient when you’re mixing cocktails at home. Well, this Pumpkin Spice Whiskey Cocktail recipe gives you a chance to own the fall vibes using a pumpkin spiced-up simple syrup. And of course, whiskey is already a favorite cool weather liquor.
Ingredients for simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1-inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground allspice
Ingredients for cocktail:
- 1 bottle of whiskey — Try John Jameson Irish Whiskey, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Koval Four Grain Whiskey, or Green Spot Irish Whiskey.
- soda water
- pinch of sugar and cinnamon for glass rims
How to make a Pumpkin Spice Whiskey Cocktail:
- Heat ingredients for simple syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it simmers.
- Reduce heat to medium-low but continue to simmer for 5–8 minutes. Stir often. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon on a plate. Wet the rim of the cocktail glass and dip it into the mixture.
- Combine 1–2 tablespoons of the simple syrup with 1-1/2 ounces of whiskey and top with soda water.
- Stir vigorously, add ice, and enjoy.
When’s the last time you heard the words “fall” and “margarita” together? You’re setting the trends for your friends with this Pumpkin Margarita. While it may sound like a strange concoction, it works — try it for yourself to find out.
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 2 oz. of tequila — Try a reposado (Camarena Reposado) for golden, smooth fall feelings
- 1 Tbsp. of 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 splash Cointreau or another triple sec
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- orange twist
- Optional: splash Grand Marnier
How to make two Pumpkin Margaritas:
- Sprinkle cinnamon on a plate. Wet the rim of each cocktail glass and dip it in the cinnamon.
- Add ingredients to cocktail shaker. Shake ingredients over ice and strain into a cocktail glass over ice.
- Garnish with an orange twist and a pinch of cinnamon.
Rum Chata Pumpkin Pie Martini
Love rum? Dig horchata? Want an autumnal twist for anything you drink during these months of falling leaves and cooler breezes? Hope you’re thirsty for dessert because this one is a sweet doozie. The Rum Chata Pumpkin Pie Martini is perfect after dinner or happy hour with a friend.
- 2 oz. Rum Chata
- 1 oz. Stoli Vanilla Vodka
- 1 oz. pumpkin liqueur (or 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie filling)
- Grated cinnamon for garnish
How to make a Rum Chata Pumpkin Pie Martini:
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top for a garnish.
Pumpkin Spice Vodka Soda
What good is a seasonal, festive flavor without vodka to carry it to your awaiting taste buds? You knew there would be a vodka-based drink included here for your celebratory needs. And here it is, the Pumpkin Spice Vodka Soda.
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz. vodka — Try Spud Vodka, Effen Vodka, or Belvedere Vodka.
- 2 cup sparkling water
How to make three Pumpkin Spice Vodka Sodas:
- Sprinkle sugar on a plate. Wet the rim of each glass and dip into the sugar.
- Add water, sugar, pumpkin puree, and spice to a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmering until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy.
- Allow syrup to cool. Then, combine vodka, sparkling water, and pumpkin spice syrup to taste.
Kahlúa Pumpkin Spice Latte
The sweet and vegetal flavors you expect in pumpkin spice drinks, whether alcoholic or not, are a fine companion for Kahlúa, that always-down-to-party coffee-flavored liqueur. If you’re having a fall brunch get-together, the Kahlúa Pumpkin Spice Latte is your go-to drink.
- 2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa
- 1 cup whipped cream
How to make two Kahlúa Pumpkin Spice Lattes:
- Brew two cups of coffee.
- Add coffee, pumpkin puree, half and half, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar in a pot. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring thoroughly.
- Remove from the stove and add Kahlúa.
- Pour your lattes into two coffee mugs before topping with whipped cream and nutmeg or cinnamon.
With these pumpkin spice drinks, your fall fun has no shortage of flavor. Try one, or try them all! There's plenty of time to enjoy these seasonal drinks before the snow flies... we hope.