A type of brandy made from twice-distilled white wine, cognac is known for its complex, character-driven flavor, courtesy of its prolonged aging (in French oak barrels for at least two years). There's a reason cognac is often poured neat, but cognac cocktails add a bit of a fun twist to this solo brandy.
Cognac's spicy, sweet, fruity, bitter tastes make it a natural fit for fall. To get started off right, we enlisted Madison in Mpls to kick off our list of fall cognac cocktails with her favorite Cognac Old Fashioned recipe featuring this sumptuous solo sipper!
Cognac Cocktails for Fall
Cognac Old Fashioned by MadisoninMpls (serves 1)
- 2 oz. cognac (try Camus VSOP Cognac)
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 tbsp simple syrup
- To make simple syrup, heat equal parts sugar and water until sugar is dissolved
- Orange rind for garnish
- Stir all ingredients together in a stirring glass.
- Pour into a rocks glass over ice.
- Top with orange garnish.
The Autumn Orchard by Bon Appétit (serves 2)
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1/4 cup apple brandy (try Calvados Boulard VSOP)
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (try Ponche Caballero Spirit of Spain)
- 2 tablespoons pear liqueur (try Williams Birne Christ Pear Brandy)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes of angostura bitters
- Ice cubes
- 2 lime slices
- Mix cognac, apple brandy, orange liqueur, pear liqueur, lime juice, Angostura bitters, and ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake vigorously 20 times.
- Strain between two coupe glasses.
- Float lime slices on top and serve.
Café Amore by The Spruce Eats (serves 1)
- 1 ounce cognac
- 1 ounce amaretto (try Lazzaroni Amaretto)
- 6 ounces coffee (black, or enough to fill a heat-safe glass)
- Whipped cream and shaved almonds for garnish
- Pour the cognac and amaretto into an Irish coffee glass.
- Fill with hot coffee.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with shaved almonds and serve.
The French Apple by Hennessy (serves 1)
- ½ oz. cognac
- ½ oz. vodka (try Grays Peak)
- 1 oz. apple cider
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- Grated or ground cinnamon for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a rocks glass with ice cubes.
- Stir until well chilled.
- Garnish with cinnamon and serve.
Grab any of those ingredients you don't already have at Haskell's or online at haskells.com!
MadisoninMpls creates content about her favorite food, drinks, and pastimes in Minneapolis. Visit her site at madisoninmpls.com for recipes, recommendations, and updates.