Now that the Thanksgiving turkey dinner has been digested, perhaps with a glass of Beaujolais Nouveau, and the last piece of pumpkin pie savored with a snifter of brandy, let’s forge ahead with a dozen great choices for your Christmas wine this year.
If you are dreaming of a white Christmas, you can with some of these terrific white wines. Even though red wines tend to dominate the winter months, there are plenty of white wines worth uncorking this holiday season – and some terrific reds.
Let’s look at a dozen wine ideas to round out the 12 Days of Christmas.
The 12 Wines of Christmas – White Wines
- Chardonnay – it’s not just for summer patio season. A medium-to-heavy bodied oaked Chardonnay goes well with turkey, squash, polenta, vegetarian lasagna.
- Gewürztraminer (Gah-VERTZ-Tra-Me-Nur) – is slightly sweet, aromatic, pairs well with turkey, and fatty wild game, like duck.
- Riesling – can be very sweet to very dry which we recommend you try this holiday season, pairs delightfully well with turkey, ham. (Tip: Check the alcohol content – a dry Riesling will have an alcohol content of 12.5% or higher).
- Sparkling Wines and Champagne – the holidays aren’t complete with tiny bubbles. Consider a Cava or a Prosecco to add some sparkle to your party. And, always consider fine Champagne. Great hostess gift as well.
- Sauternes – this sweet wine can go sweet and savory in its pairings. Try with foie gras, duck, desserts like pumpkin pie, and other creamy desserts (crème brulee for instance).
- Viognier (Vee-Own-YAY) – can be a full-bodied white, pairs well with turkey, ham, winter squash.
The 12 Wines of Christmas – Red Wines
- Cabernet Sauvignon – pairs well with full-flavored rich dishes such as prime rib, duck.
- Pinot Noir – this smooth and flexible wine pairs well with ham, wild game, turkey.
- Syrah/Shiraz – pairs well with venison, roasted beef, meat lasagna.
- Zinfandel - pairs well with ham, duck, prime rib, anything spicy too.
- Tempranillo - pairs well with ham, duck, prime rib.
- Port – pairs well with cheese, chocolates and fireside chat. Sit back at the end of the evening and sip a fine port. You deserve it.
If you need a specific recommendation, stop by and ask any of our wine experts. We can help you find the right wine for your holiday planning and for all 12 Days of Christmas.
Founded in 1934, Haskell’s has championed fine wines for over 80 years. We have 13 wine stores in Minnesota, two delis and one restaurant. As one of the top wine shops in North America, Haskell’s is known for legendary service and one of the finest collections of wine, beer and spirits. Led by Chairman and CEO Jack Farrell, and the Farrell family, Haskell’s continues to be at the forefront of the wine scene throughout the world. Haskell’s also can ship wine, beer & spirits all throughout the world, the U.S. and we deliver locally.