Taste of Wine from Bordeaux, Burgundy and the Rhone Valley
France is synonymous with fine wine, and for good reason. Its Appellation d’Origine Controlee, or AOC system, is the legislative model for most other European countries, with wines linked very specifically to the places they are made – to guarantee both quality and exclusivity. France has five major wine regions, three of them producing the most noteworthy reds: Bordeaux, Burgundy and Rhone Valley. Each region has its own unique flavors, and its own spectacular wineries, so we have developed this list of red wines from France for your tasting pleasure.
Red wines from Bordeaux are traditionally blends made up of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, & Malbec. The wines are usually very structured and layered. They do evolve quite well over time and are great candidates for the wine cellar. Optimal aging for Bordeaux is usually 5 to 12 years, but some can age 30+ years.
- Château Des Mille Agnes St-Germain de Graves - $12.99
- Château Malmaison Baronne Nadine de Rothschild - $21.99
- Capbern Gasqueton Saint Estèphe - $24.99
Red wine from Burgundy is Pinot Noir. By law, no other grapes are allowed to grow in the region. The wine is usually known to exhibit more red fruit like strawberry, raspberry, cherry, or even cranberry type aromas. The wine is very elegant and sophisticated. These wines also evolve quite well over time and are also great candidates for the wine cellar.
- Domaine Voarick Givry - $15.99
- Henri de Villamont Fixin - $15.99
- Gevrey Chambertin 'Vieilles Vignes' Philippe Marchand : $34.99
- Jean-Claude Boisset 'Chambolle-Musigny' Bourgogne - $51.99
Red Wine from the Rhone Valley is primarily made of Grenache and Syrah. Many other grapes are grown in the region, like Cinsault, Mouvedre, and Carignon. These are typically used in very small percentages to help balance the wine and give it a bit more character. The value in this region is incredible. The Cotes du Rhones are very drinkable and affordable. Chateauneuf-du-Papes are the more elegant and expensive style of the region, but compared to other world class wine regions, these wines are a steal.
- Grand Bourjassot 'Cuvee Fanny' Cotes du Rhone Bourjassot 'Cuvee Fanny' Cotes du Rhone - $10.99
- Chateau Cabrieres Cotes du Rhone Villages - $12.99
- Louis Bernard 'Domaine la Crau des Papes' Châteauneuf-du-Pape - $29.99
- Domaine du Pegau Cuvee Reserve Châteauneuf-du-Pape - $99.99
Founded in 1934, Haskell’s has championed fine wines for over 80 years. We have 13 wine stores in Minnesota, two delis and one restaurant. As one of the top wine shops in North America, Haskell’s is known for legendary service and one of the finest collections of wine, beer and spirits. Led by Chairman and CEO Jack Farrell, and the Farrell family, Haskell’s continues to be at the forefront of the wine scene throughout the world. Haskell’s also can ship wine, beer & spirits all throughout the world, the U.S. and we deliver locally.